Conspiracy is Optimistic

Steve Jobs quote:

“When you’re young, you look at television and think, There’s a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that’s not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That’s a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It’s the truth.”
— Steve Jobs

Related posts:

  1. Short-Seller Conspiracy Theorists
  2. The Triumph of the Stupidly Optimistic
  3. QOTD: Steve Jobs on Doing Great Stuff
  4. Air Canada, WestJet, and Conspiracy Theories
  5. Best Book of 2007

Comments

  1. Marc P says:

    Steve was right the first time. The reason this is what people want is because the conspiracy has been successful.

  2. Transor Z says:

    Many years ago, I got into a heated joust with a much older lawyer over the nature of informed consent in medical care. The older lawyer, who had narrowly survived cancer, insisted that people don't really want to know the risks involved in operations and treatments. Of course they did, I countered, and they have THE RIGHT to be informed about the risks. It was such an easy argument to win, I thought.

    Now, many years later, I have come to see the great wisdom in his position.

  3. Jayzon says:

    Yeah, sure. That is exactly what I want. More commercials on a feed that I have already paid for with my cable subscription. A feed that is filled with lowest common denominator "Springer" swill and 24 hour hate monger news. Remember, "we" is a mighty big group and the more open minded individuals among us may not be accurately represented by the Nelson family or the the Gallop polls. I am just saying.

    • Jose Luis C says:

      You did not understand him. When he says "people", he does not mean you Jayzon, he means "clients". You (and me) are not the typical tv viewer (not yet at least). The day when everyone will stop watching today's TV, they will have to evolve or die.
      It's the same argument when people cannot understand how "expensive" and "not good enough" Apple products sell so well. Because they have clients, for each of those persons f** them they have dozens buying.
      Simple, but you need to think a bit outside the box (or your head for that matter) :)

    • Matt says:

      Then stop paying for it and find or start something better.

  4. Pat says:

    By now we have created a generation or two of dumbed down, non-thinkers who keep on reproducing themselves in children they do not know how to raise or discipline. What has just happened in England riots is a good example. It's the same mentality that accepts without question the dogma and assertions coming from pulpits.

    We are creating an underclass to become slaves to the rich and powerful.

  5. Kevin says:

    Yes the networks give them what they want but have spent the last sixty years training them for what they wanted. Did we want reality television shows when they came up with that crap? No, but we ate it up so they gave us a tidal wave of them. It is true, we are our own worst enemy. Ignorance is a choice that most American's and human either consciously or unconsciously chose everyday. That truth has been taken advantage of throughout human history and now is no different. Yes there is a conspiracy to enslave the masses. Its worked quit well. 1% of the population has all the wealth and the other 99% does all the work and pays all the taxes and under the current plan will pay 99 cents of every dollar that ever passes through their hands to some form of tax or inflation. But lets be clear we picked and continue to pick the thieves and con men who have done it to us. They will continue until we have decided that we have had enough. The only thing that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing and man are we good at doing nothing.

  6. Shamus says:

    This server didn't last long…

  7. 3dbloke says:

    As with many consumer products, there are incremental changes in the features and emphasis.The consumer may not notice these changes but, over time, the effect is significant. In the case of the networks, a dumbing down has occurred. It's not that people wanted it. It's what the network bosses, in their wisdom (and with an eye on advertising revenue) decided would work best for their bottom line.

Trackbacks

  1. [...] Kedrosky with a quote from Steve Jobs on giving people what they want to hear (highly relevant for all the misinformation [...]

  2. [...] Conspiracy is Optimistic Sad but true quote from Steve Jobs: "Conspiracy is optimistic." [...]