In modern Western Society where we hide our sick and dying in hospitals or similar institutions, we cannot even begin to comprehend the impact of [the Black Death] to a society, such as that of the Middle Ages, where squalor, poverty and disease were part of the quotidian patterns of life.
Source: Ruiz TF. The Terror of History: On the Uncertainties of Life in Western Civilization. Princeton University Press; 2011:232. Available at: http://www.amazon.com/Terror-History-Uncertainties-Western-Civilization/dp/0691124132
- Readings: Big Waves, Vision, Ireland, Disease, Energy & Trade, etc.
- Field Notes: Cat Bonds, Playboy Disease, Rail, Oil, Liquidity, Hitchens, etc.
- Energy, Evolution and Disease
- Field Notes: Skiing, Complexity, Civilization, Cities, VCs, Coins, etc.
- Field Notes: Civilization, Search, Startups, Earthquakes, etc.