Jim Rogers on BBC Hardtalk

While I find many of his rhetorical tricks maddening — repeating something doesn’t make it truer; food inventories are not uniform; nothing interesting is monocausal; and reflexive contrarianism is exhausting — but this interview with Jim Rogers on BBC Hardtalk is worth a watch/listen.

1. Readings: Jim Rogers, Bill Gross, Contrarianism, etc.
  2. Jim Rogers Gets Star Treatment
  3. The Soros-Rogers Gap
  4. Jim Rogers: Abolish the Fed
  5. Uber-Investor Jim Rogers and Me

Comments

1. jon richards says:

Interviewer isn't a dbag, just asking tough questions, unlike most sycophant US media types (read CNBC) kissing rich investors asses and letting them talk their book!

2. JohnK says:

So enthusiastic about China yet he doesn't even attempt to downplay their resource/environmental shortfalls(?)

3. guidoamm says:

Bummer! Jim missed a great opportunity to answer Steven Sakur that if Sarkozy is so worried about increasing food prices, then he, like the rest of Western politicians, would do well to stop debasing the currency.

4. Kirk says:

I felt that the interviewer's style was a bit over the top in the first half… and thus came across as trying too hard to be "hard…"

In terms of content… it was particularly timely for me to have watched this … as I both have a finance background and have literally just toiled in the sun for 12 hours on my farm… grandstanding aside, Rogers sadly isn't far off in his assessment of the plight of farmers … farmers are getting old and no one wants to take up the profession because one cannot reasonably earn any economic benefit, and those still doing it love it or just dont know anything else ….

Making money is not the benchmark by which I measure utility … but unfortunately in today’s world, one must achieve a high economic hurdle just to be allowed to exist and to participate on anything approaching an even footing in our society… I could rant on for hours, but farmers must quite literally be slaves in order to pay into a system that supports a comparatively lavish lifestyle for others … fair or not, eventually Darwinian forces will cause an unpleasant outcome for all…

5. kim bjo says:

Hold on a second, food prices are their lowest in 30 years…. but isn't that because of improved supply chain management and technology in the food sector?

I mean 30 years ago, a vase cost more than it does today at Wallmart. So did socks, underwear, and pretty much everything else that Wallmart imports from China.

6. angel9913 says:

I'm already used to the bias expressed by BBC and most of their haughty TV hosts, but I had no idea that they could be so ignorant economy wise.
    The level of public education in the western world had become truly appaling over the last 30 years, and THAT's a huge threat for the future that nobody is talking about…