The good people at S.Pellegrino have out their annual list of the 50 best restaurants in the world. I’ve been playing with the data, which goes back to 2002, to see if there is anything interesting in there.
Here is the top Ten from 2008, and you can go the site for the remaining 40. After the chart, some questions.
So, some questions:
- Has the U.S. percentage of the top 50 restaurants gone up, down, or stayed the same over time?
- Has the French percentage of the top 50 restaurants gone up, down, or stayed the same over time?
- Which country has the most Top 50 restaurants on a GDP-adjusted basis?
- Which country is most under-represented on a GDP-adjusted basis?
- How many restaurants do BRIC (Brazil/Russia/India/China) have? How has that changed over time?
- How many entrants do frontier markets like Africa (excluding South Africa) have?
If you notice anything else interesting feel free to toss it in, including that you’ve eaten at all of these places. Among the top ten, I have eaten at a grand total of 1: The French Laundry.
[Update] Here is another way of looking at the data, this time via a time series of restaurants per year per (selected) country: