Perhaps unsurprisingly, U.S. adoption of big-screen TVs has had unintended — and tragic — consequences. This story is in the San Diego paper today:
A 3-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a television and dresser toppled on top of her at her Spring Valley home over the weekend, authorities said.
…The accident has prompted Children’s Hospital officials to issue a warning to parents about the dangers of placing TV sets on tall, unstable furniture.
In the past 15 months, 15 children have been treated in the hospital’s trauma unit after being injured by falling TVs, according to Sue Cox, the hospital’s director of trauma services. Injuries range from broken arms and legs to severe head trauma.
â€œWe are seeing a trend and it is very concerning,â€ Cox said.