The Other Canada/U.S. Exchange Rate

There is another (and more overlooked) Canada/U.S. exchange rate beyond the dollar. People — and it’s seemingly heading for parity too.

The number of U.S. citizens who moved to Canada last year hit a 30-year high, with a 20 percent increase over the previous year and almost double the number who moved in 2000.

In 2006, 10,942 Americans went to Canada, compared with 9,262 in 2005 and 5,828 in 2000, according to a survey by the Association for Canadian Studies.

Of course, those numbers are still outweighed by the number of Canadians going the other way. Yet, that imbalance is shrinking. Last year, 23,913 Canadians moved to the United States, a significant decrease from 29,930 in 2005.

1. Biographies Better than Canada, says Bill Bryson
  2. Canada as Evil Offshoring Country
  3. Canada as Indian Outsourcing Haven
  4. Was Canada’s Enron Canada Itself?
  5. Air Canada, WestJet, and Conspiracy Theories

Comments

1. Andi says:

It would be interesting to compare these numbers to the number of Americans who move from northern climes to the sunbelt.
    Sometimes nationality is irrelevant.

2. mistersurefire says:

As a percentage of the overall population of the country, way more Canadians move to the U.S. Does this mean anything?
    I think so.

3. Tom George says:

If we’re going to compare percentages, how about adding another factor, the number of people who move countries and are still there after 10 years. I think that 23,000 will shrink to a much smaller number. Perhaps the 10,000 does too, but it would be interesting to know.

4. Brian P. Marshall says:

I moved from Toronto to California in 2005 for a big promotion….the California tax system is competing Ontario for taxing us to death. End result is less disposable income than in my overtaxed province….who would have dreamt that one. I might be one of those coming back.

5. Brian P. Marshall says:

6. Harold says:

There is no place like “home.”