Apple Earnings, the iPod Whisper Number, etc.

Apple’s earnings are out tonight, and the whisper numbers on iPod sales are flying about. So, let’s play the home game: How many iPods will Apple announce it sold in its just-completed first quarter of 2007?

Create polls and vote for free. dPolls.com

For those of you with an empirical bent, here are the historical iPod unit numbers in graphical form. And relatedly, the current consensus iPod sales number seems to be around 15m:

ipod sales

1. iPod Troubles
  2. iPod Accessor-conomy
  3. Has the iPod Lost its Groove?
  4. Live by the iPod, Die by the iPod
  5. Steve Jobs Reads Too Many Apple Press Releases

Comments

1. blofeld says:

Put me down for 16.2m

2. dan says:

I feel pretty good at 16M or more based on the explosive traffic the itunes music store saw on christmas day. I read they had a 1200% traffic surge over last year’s traffic numbers on itms, which to me means probably a huge itunes gift card christmas, and a great ipod christmas.

3. Erik says:

I’m curious (although they’ll never say) the number of unique users.
    I’ve owned 5 iPods over the years.
    Few people I know who’ve own one, have owned only one.
    100 million units shipped, 35 million installed base? 40 million? 50 million?

4. Vishy says:

The real number from just-announced AAPL earnings is 21 million iPods. In addition, 1.6m Macs were sold.
    (from the earnings release report)

5. Jon H says:

“I’m curious (although they’ll never say) the number of unique users.”
    Quarterly numbers are the number of iPods sold *that quarter*, not the fuzzier overall number of iPod users or buyers. That tends to show up in fluffier stories, not financial releases. And it’s probably unknowable, unless every owner registers their iPod.
    “Another thing (that they’ll never release) that would be interesting is a breakdown by model. I bet they’re selling loads of the $79 shuffles.”
    I don’t think it particularly matters – the $79 shuffle buyers probably buy a nano or a full-size iPod at some point down the line, once they’ve got all their music organized in iTunes (whether they’ve bought it at the store or ripped their CDs.) It’s just far easier to buy a bigger iPod.
    And a $79 shuffle does a perfectly good job of not being another brand’s MP3 player. That’s probably more important than the revenue ‘loss’, in the long run.
    Even if they are selling mostly Shuffles, they’re making a hefty chunk of cash.

6. I don’t understand your article at all. The figure apple announced is 21 million ipods, not 9 as shown in your graph… Why????

7. Lee D says:
  8. Chris says:

Your graph sucks! I work at apple and You all spread Lies! Go to Hell! Apple rules.