Amazon mines its own data for some top-sellers over the Xmas season. While it’s interesting enough, I generally think this kind of thing is more useful as a sociological document than as a financial one. Fifty years from now — okay, maybe even five years from now — this will tell more about who we are, what we want, and where we think we’re going than the average would-be historian’s Ph.D. thesis on the U.S. back in 2006.
* In Toys, our top sellers included Radica 20 Questions, Laugh & Learn Cuddly Learning Puppy and Princess Genevieve Doll â€“ Barbie In the 12 Dancing Princesses.
* Tops in video game hardware were the Nintendo DS Lite available in white, pink and black as well as Play Station 2 and the Xbox 360.
* Video games were a customer favorite again this year with New Super Mario Bros., Brain Age and Madden Football topping the list.
* In DVDs, top sellers included Pirates of the Caribbean â€“ Dead Manâ€™s Chest (Two-Disc Collectors Edition), Cars (Widescreen Edition) and An Inconvenient Truth.
* In music, the top sellers included Awake by Josh Groban, Love by the Beatles and Wintersong by Sarah McLachlan.
* The top selling books were You: On a Diet: The Ownerâ€™s Manual for Waist Management by Mehmet C. Oz and Michael F. Roizen, The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream by Barack Obama and Living Divine Relationships by Zhi Gang Sha.
* Top sellers in Consumer Electronics include Apple iPods (various), Canon Powershot Digital Elph Cameras and Garmin GPS Systems.
* Top Software titles include World of Warcraft Expansion: Burning Crusade (not yet released), The Sims 2 Pet Expansion Pack (Windows Me, 98, XP, 2000) and Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 (Windows XP).
* Top sellers in the Beauty store were Bare Escentuals Get Started Kit, Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil and Philosophy Hope in a Jar Daily Moisturizer.
* In PCs, the top sellers were the Apple MacBook 13.3â€ Notebook PC in white and black and the Sony VAIO 15.4â€ Notebook PC.
* Headsets let the Wireless Accessories top sellers including the Logitech Mobile Express Bluetooth Headset, Plantronics Voyager 510 Bluetooth Headset and the Motorola H700 Bluetooth Headset.
* In Apparel and Accessories, popular items included Columbia Sportswear Men’s 3 in 1 Kestrel Parka, Reggie Bush Black New Orleans Saints Youth Replica Jersey and Kenneth Cole Reaction Menâ€™s Hadley Poly Bonded Hipster Jacket.
* Top-selling shoes included the Nine West Womenâ€™s Ealene Boot, Kenneth Cole Reaction Menâ€™s Team Circle Boot and BCBG Girls Womenâ€™s Kayo Mid Shaft Boot.
* The top-selling products in Amazonâ€™s Automotive Parts & Accessories store include the Sylvania DOT-it Self-Adhesive LED light, LifeHammer Original Emergency Hammer (Orange) and Accutire Digital Key Chain Tire Gauge.
* The top-selling Sports & Outdoors items were the Razor A Kick Scooter, Schwinn 418 Elliptical Trainer and the Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill.
* In the Baby Store, the top-selling products were Cloud b Twilight Turtle â€“ Constellation Night Light, Healthy Care Booster Seat and Mozart Magic Cube.
* Jewelry top sellers included 14k White Gold, Round, Diamond Stud Earrings, Platinum, Round, Diamond 4-Prong Stud Earrings and Sterling Silver Open Double Flower Pendant.
* Watches were also popular with the Bulova Women’s Diamond Bezel Chronograph Watch, Invicta Men’s Automatic Pro Diver S2 Watch and Movado Womenâ€™s Amarosa Watch topping the list.
* The top-selling Kitchen items included the Matfer Exopat Nonstick Baking/Roasting Sheet, Santa Fe Quesadilla Maker and Calphalonâ€™s Commercial Hard-Anodized 12-in Everyday Pan.
* Top selling items in Amazonâ€™s Grocery store were Senseo coffee pods, Numiâ€™s Bouquet Bamboo Gift Set and Gevalia Signature Blend T-Discs.
* In Health and Personal Care, Airborne Effervescent Dietary Supplement as well as diapers from Pampers and Huggies were top sellers.