Who is the best venture capitalist golfer in the U.S.? To answer that question I wrote a little program to extract data from Forbes’ Midas List and match it against the USGA’s GHIN handicap lookup service.
The answer, interestingly enough, is that relatively few VCs golf (or if they do, they don’t maintain handicaps). Of those that do, here are some results — and for you non-golfers, keep in mind that lower is better:
- Larry Sonsini (VC lawyer): 13.4. As of September 1st, he had been out nine times this year. In case you’re curious, none of those dates coincided with key milestones in the current HP board scandal.
- David Marquardt (August Capital): 9.1. He has been out 19 times this year, and has been golfing mostly at Misquamicut in Rhode Island.
- Jay Hoag (TCV): 20.8. Jay wins the “most honest golfer award”, with him having been out 15 times this year, and still recording rounds as high as 114 at his home Stanford golf course.
- William Younger (Sutter Hill): 21.5. Another honest golfer, Younger plays out of Menlo Country Club and has been out eight times this year, more than any previous year, and shoots around 100.
- Peter Wagner (Accel): 18.5. Peter has been out seven times this year.
- Jim Breyer (Accel): 8.0. Breyer is the best of the bunch, right up there with David Marquardt of August. Playing only four rounds for handicap this year, he is shooting fairly consistently in the low 80s.
- Dixon Doll (DCM): 12.6. I’m not positive this is the right Dixon, as some of the courses listed are in Michigan and elsewhere, but assuming it is then he shoots a solid game.
So there you have it, a quick list of some of the best golfers at the top of Forbes’ Midas List. Accel seenms to be the golfingest venture fund, and Jim Breyer and Dave Marquardt would play a close game. When I have some time, if I ever do, I’ll put up more results, but I thought these were fun to get started.
As an aside, while I have known about GHIN for some time, it was a recent story in Dealbook about bankers that golf that got me thinking about checking VCs’ golf handicaps.