Google’s Analyst Day For Sale

In an otherwise surprisingly dated-feeling John Markoff article on changes in the software business — we’re only now talking about mashable software online? — there is a trailing mention of Mturk, Amazon’s humans-under-the-hood automation service. The Mturk mention turns into a brief discussion of CastingWords, the nifty transcription service whereby you can have text inexpensively created from any audio.

Which reminds me … after some entertaining technical complications in creating an appropriate audio track, I used the service recently to pull together for my own purposes a text transcript of Google’s recent analyst day. Being the kind of generous and sharing guy that I am, I’m happy for others to have it as well.

So, if anyone’s interested in a copy of my Google analyst day transcript, email me from an address at which you want it, and then PayPal me $10. All 26,857 words will be yours — hey, less then a half-cent per word! — in their very interesting glory. Who knows, maybe there’s another Google PowerPoint imbroglio in there somewhere.

(I recognize, of course, that you could do all this yourself, but it would cost you much more. And I am officially sounding more and more like Ron Popeil ever day.)

1. IPO Underpricing as Analyst Payoff
  2. Juniper Demurs on Playing Beat the Analyst
  3. Biovail’s Anti-Analyst Tactics Work
  4. I Heart My Analyst
  5. Love in an Analyst Conference Call

Comments

1. Nigel deGruyther says:

I suspect that the proceedings of the analyst day, having been fixed in media as a recording are subject to copyright. And if so, are you in fact infringing on Google’s copyright?
    If it were to choose to enforce its rights, it would be an interesting turn of events given Google’s position with repsect to the copyrights of others.

2. Hey Nigel — Interesting question, and, to be honest, I had thought about the issue and decided it would be good shit-disturbing fun to to see what happens. And there is also a subtle twist: Google broadcast the session over the public internet and I recorded it — so I’m not working from their media recording.

3. Nigel deGruyther says:

Paul, you know better (or should). It is illegal to record the broadcast television signal of a movie and re-sell it. Broadcast does not abrogate copyright. I think the same would hold for Google’s internet broadcast of the meeting.
    If you were giving away teh transcript, I think the worst you might get would be a cease and desist. However, you are _selling_ the transcript. In this case, Google may choose to go after damages; that could be substantial if Google registers the recording with teh US copyright office.
    Regardless, I would be interested to see you post something should Google choose to make an issue of this, simply because of its position on other people’s intellectual property.

4. lb says:

wouldnt reg fd put this in the public domain? even if it wasnt i doubt a transcript (as opposed to a recording) could or would be considered a copywright infringement.

5. jme giffo says:

Paul I enjoy your blog, but why charge $10 I was under the impression you were loaded with ventures burning thru the techno stock market thingy!
    google ads?
    bye

6. /pd says:

I think Paul, should be ok with the gimmick. After all the .ppt is avialable for public consumption. What paul has done (is doing ?) is taking the notes section and creating a transcript version of it. If he inserts his two cents worth verbiage at every slide. I think, googles (or any other entity !!) will not have a case at all !!
    But hey, there are many mirror sites out with the orignal ptt. I also have copy of it too, so its no biggie to get to the notes section.. but as Paul sez its a “good shit-disturbing fun to to see what happens”– kinda thing :) -
    So why not post this and see what happens !! yeah, I can see how the blogspher will swarm all over Google if they try to act up !!

7. Nigel deGruyther says:

I see from the other comments that copyright is _not_ well understood. Google making items to which they own the copyright available does not change Google’s copyright position. Google continues to own the copyright. That means that Google has the exclusive right to distribute if, when, and how it sees fit. By re-publishing Google’s copyrighted work, Paul is neccessarily infringing. Google can choose to do nothing, issue a cease and desist order, or sue for damages.

8. deeje says:

I think Paul is consciously stirring things up here, but I’ll bite anyway. So Paul, what if I pay you $10 and then post the transcript to my blog. What’s your recourse? :-)

9. anon says:

love it nigel. ego is writing checks your knowledge cant cash. brilliant

10. Hey deeje. No recourse, none at all — other than relying on goodwill, of course.
    As most people have surmised, I’m mostly interested in finding out how many people want to pay for this sort of thing, kind of an experiment in digital product sales. And so far the answer is … zero!
    Wrt jme giffo’s comment, I’m not sure what to say. I think it’s still actually okay in the Adsense-economy to see if you can sell stuff, but perhaps I’m wrong.
    A few people seem confused about what I was proposing. It’s not the PPT, which I’ve already posted on Box.net (Google it!); it’s the text transcript of the entire day’s discussions. Something like five hours of Google-exec nattering, Q&A, etc. It’s actually interesting reading.

11. “And so far the answer is … zero!”
    You’ve thrown down the gauntlet and that leaves me with no choice other than to buy one. Check your email, I want one transcription of Google Analyst day for $10.
    Later I’ll post it on ebay and see if there’s a secondary market.
    Thanks,
    Greg

12. And now all you need is an update to your post saying “And for the amazingly low price of just $14.99, you can have all this plus a stainless steel dish-rack and warming tray with a handy little can of floor wax/dessert topping…” :-)

13. Mathew — Hence my Ron Popeil crack … :-)
    Greg — You’re on!

14. Paul- As an interesting second leg to the experiment I’m going to suggest that you post the entire text to your website and set up an adsense channel to monitor the pageviews and ad revenue for the document. My guess is that you’d earn in excess of $300 over the next 12 months for your efforts.