A Self-Serving IMAP Question

Not to (mildly) geek-out, but why is every major email tool’s IMAP support so broken? I use Outlook and NEO Pro, and the former’s support for IMAP feels like it was done only because of a lost Saturday night bar bet, and the latter doesn’t deign to support IMAP at all.

It drives me nuts and forces me to do all sorts of silly and software-stability-damaging things to keep my email consistent across home, laptop, and so on. (Note to MSFT sorts: Saying “Just use MS Exchange” is not the answer.)

As baffling as it might seem, it sure feels like MSFT is doing everything in its power to cause it to lose its Outlook bastion and drive people to the next-generation of webmail where cross-location consistency goes away as an issue.

1. Gmail: POP vs. IMAP
  2. Lazyweb Question on Treo 650
  3. Greed! Anthony Noto! IPO Underpricing! Gmail IMAP!
  4. The Future of the Future of Spam (& Email)
  5. Dealing with Email Overload: Managing Email

Comments

1. Guillaume says:

I don’t want to sound like a geek but I’ve been using Thunderbird for more than one year with an IMAP account and I have never encountered any issue. It’s really great.

2. Paul K. says:

Yes, I may have to bite the bullet. Trouble is, I’d lose Neo Pro, which has literally saved my (email) life. Wish I wasn’t forced to that point.

3. Mark says:

I second that vote for Thunderbird. I use 5 different IMAP e-mail accounts across 4 different computers (both PC and Mac) with zero problems.

4. David Beroff says:

Pegasus?

5. Paul K. says:

Now there’s a blast from the email past. I used to use Pegasus close to a decade ago. While I could go back, I have to (guiltily) confess I have become childishly fund of email clients with whizzier graphics and spiffier interfaces. Too bad, because it was a good app.

6. Thunderbird (and to be fair, Netscape 7.2 and Mozzilla) is an IMAP champ.
    For a Treo 650 or other Palm PDA, SNAppermail is *the* mail client if you want straoing IMAP support, not to mention SSL so you can handle your work email securely.

7. Tony says:

Thunderbird is a fine IMAP client, but I’m with Paul: where is the tool that gives me the powerful multidimensional classification and search capabilities of the NEO/Exchange combination? Is there anything out there remotely along those lines?
    Even the generic desktop search engines, which might otherwise be a good start, draw the line at IMAP.