Here is a puzzler: Why are there so many venture capital blogs? It is hard not to notice that there a host of such things out there, from Brad Feld’s to Fred Wilson’s, and everyone inbetween. Here are five possible hypotheses:
- Professional service firms are highly branded by individual, so it makes sense to get out there and present yourself as a way of attracting deal flow.
- There are just as many legal/financial/other blogs, but those people aren’t as good at getting media attention.
- Venture capitalists don’t have enough to do.
- Having a blog as a technology VC is a way of demonstrating your technical competencies.
- Having a blog is a way to lay out your thought process about markets and technologies, thus demonstrating your added value as a putative investee board member.
Anyone with other ideas, however nutty, feel free to suggest ‘em.